亚高 发表于 2024-1-12 15:20:01

Why It’s Important to Make Time for Coin Shows

By Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez

As January winds along and we already have one major show, the Florida United Numismatists (FUN) Convention in Florida, behind us on the 2024 calendar, I want to implore everyone reading this to do something – for yourself, and for our hobby. Please go to at least one coin show this year if you can!

I know, I know… We’re all busy. But the thing that makes coin shows so important – so integral – to our being as coin collectors is that they help us advance in our hobby. They provide multitudes of opportunities to buy new coins for our sets as well as sell those we no longer want or need in our collection. But that’s not all coin shows are about.

They give us a chance to build new friendships and grow those we already have. And camaraderie is an enriching part of our hobby that so many coin collectors point to as one of the best reasons to attend a coin show. As some might say, they don’t just collect coins – they also “collect” friends. These friendships give us a chance to learn from others we trust, trade coins between one another, and feel a sense of belonging in our hobby. A great many “coin friends” turn into relationships that extend far beyond the confines of the hobby, with many friends becoming like family to one another.

Then there are the educational seminars… So many coin shows offer some kind of learning element, either by way of lectures, exhibits, one-on-one forums, or other events. PCGS often sends in-house experts to coin shows for Meet-the-Expert encounters, which give collectors the opportunity to bring their collectibles to the show to learn more about what they have.

And we can’t forget the auction action! The bigger coin shows usually have a headlining auction, or at least an auction lot viewing so potential buyers can scope out the coins and other collectibles that will soon be crossing the block.

There are so many coin shows coming up on the calendar right now it’s impractical to list them all here. But keep in mind that the Long Beach Expo: The Collectibles Show will kick off its 60th anniversary at the Long Beach Convention Center in Southern California from February 1 through 3, 2024. Then, a few weeks later is the PCGS Members Only Show in Philadelphia, being held February 28 through March 2, 2024.

https://i.pcgs.com/s3/cu-pcgs/Articles/2024/01/2024-0110-01.jpg
The entrance to the 2024 Florida United Numismatists Convention at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando on January 5, 2024. Courtesy of Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez

Original link: https://www.pcgs.com/news/why-its-important-to-make-time-for-coin-shows
页: [1]
查看完整版本: Why It’s Important to Make Time for Coin Shows